Thursday, August 3, 2017

News Papers


  • For local news, I get my information from a small variety of sources, not that I don't enjoy being informed about the information around me, rather tired of seeing the same information regurgitated about information I care little about. For example, the size of Donald Trumps hands. The news that I use the most of I would say is off of Facebook, but not just information that is posted by my friends and Family, I follow KATU News channel on Facebook and get most of my information form them. I do this because I don't watch much television and, for the most part, the information is relative to what I want to know. For example, they are constantly updating traffic conditions, I travel on I-5 through Portland quite frequently and I like to know where the wrecks are and conditions on the roads so I know what route to take. They are also updating weather constantly. As far as world news, I would say that I mostly get it from word-of-mouth. Then I take the information I have heard and investigate on it further. For local news, I would say it is very important because of my daily activities, like stated before I like to know the road conditions, the weather and if anything is happening in my area. The hard part being credibility. However, what I use the news for I would say I don't have many doubts about what the weather is going to be like or how the roads are, but when it comes to anything political I pretty much tune out at this point. Not that I don't care but more of just being tired of not knowing if what is going to be said has any kind of credibility behind it.

    I do not subscribe to any kind of online publication. I would say that I am not willing to pay for it simply because there are free options that provide just as much information. We live in a world where information is flying around faster than we can read it. Growing up in my generation if I want to know something all I really have to do is google it and search around until I feel satisfied with my findings. Free information is everywhere and I feel that paying for something that is offered for free is just not worth it. However I do see the upside in paying for a subscription. The information you are getting is most likely of a higher quality and most likely has sources cited and is way more credible. However, for me, I don't think I would want to pay for it.

    I would give myself about a 3 on being well-informed. I say a three because there are subjects I am a 5 on for sure, like sports, and subjects that I am definitely a 1 on, like legislation. When it comes to topics that I enjoy, like sports, I am all over it. I will read an ESPN article about different players starting through training camp all the way until the next year starts. I play the fantasy leagues and following as much as I can on statistics and injuries and how players are doing outside of football. Simply because I enjoy it. However the flip side, with almost anything political now. With the recent events in politics I have kind of just tuned out. I just don't want to hear it anymore. Every news station is jumping on stories that mean absolutely nothing to me. Like the size of Trumps hands or Hillary's pant suits. These are just topics I find have taken over the political scene instead of actually topics that need to be brought up like the wage gap and veteran affairs. It is just to hard for me to sift through all the garbage to get to the real material when it comes to politics. As far as community goes I feel that I am fairly well informed, I manage a small BBQ restaurant where I live so I like to know whats going on around me so that I can get involved with it. For example, with graduation just happening a couple weeks ago, my BBQ company catered 3 different venues for the college simply by just being involved and talking to people. It is important to me to be well informed on most topics, however I just feel exhausted. Like stated before, mostly with politics. I try to keep up with the times on most subjects just as of late have taken a break form it.

No comments:

Post a Comment