Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Topic # 2 Wiki Leaks

  1. What do you think of actions by WikiLeaks? Good? Bad? Useful? Irresponsible?
  2. EXPLAIN why you feel that way.
  3. Give an EXAMPLE to support your point of view.
  4. How do you feel about the current state of free speech, access to information/internet or freedom of expression/creativity? Be specific about your stance (e.g. I'm fine because ... or note why you are concerned by government transparency or restrictive copyright rules ... or proposed new FCC rules on net neutrality ...)
  5. Give an EXAMPLE to illustrate your point.

    1. The actions of WikiLeaks is a tough one for me. On one hand I think all this information should be open to everyone as we should all know whats going on. On the other hand would be releasing secret information that could be in the hands of people who are wanting to do harm to others such as terrorist. Knowing the exact location of things and how things are done or who did them could allow them to use it for horrible actions. I do believe it is a good thing. As you and I both know the government is great at hiding things and trying to lie about what is actually going on. The problem being is all this information we are seeing, who knows how accurate it really is. In todays day, anything can be said but the truth behind these words is almost never actually known. I think wiki leaks does a good job at providing valuable information, however, is it always accurate. I would have to say no. For example, WikiLeaks says that all of there information is given by anonomoius sources. Meaning that this could be anyone. Not a credible source. To me, if you do not know the source and cannot back it up you have no truth behind it. I need to know the facts.

    2. The current state of free speech. I feel that it has gone to far. I do believe that everyone has the right of free speech and expression and allowing there ideas to be heard but people take it too far. My prime example would be the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka Kansas. It is a highly known church simply because of its hate speech. They picket dead soldiers funerals saying that they deserved to die simply because they were protecting a country and allows homosexuality. This to me is absolutely awful. But it is completely legal. They have been sued time and time again but thanks to free speech they are allowed to do it. This is to much. I agree you should be able to say what you want and when you want it but when has it gone to far? When does it become moral? I think a line need to be drawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment